Good morning everyone. As this will be our first official “week back” to school, I have planned something that is meant to simply ease you back in to the world of the dramatic arts, while also creating some connective tissue between our upcoming learning and the time you have spent away.
This week, you will be trying out an exercise, and answering some reflection questions about your experience with the exercise. Please note that the reflection questions will be due on Sunday, April 19th at 11:59pm. They can be submitted in the comments section below, in the comments section on Microsoft Teams, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our activity this week will be focused on the idea of theatre space. Theatre space is an important aspect to how we grow as actors, and our environment can contribute heavily to how we motivate ourselves.
“But Mr. Vigna! How could we possibly focus on theatre space from home?”
“Well, eager student, that is a wonderful question. Simply follow the instructions below and you’ll be all set.”
1. Copy and paste the following link into your web browser: https://www.artfulschools.com/studentresources
2. Under the section “Theatre Classes,” please click the video entitled “Warming Up Your Actors.”
3. Find a space in your home where you can follow along with the video, and perform the 15-minute warm up that Christine Smith leads. Be sure to engage as much as possible with the warm up.
4. You will find a series of reflection questions below. Please take some time to think about each question, and then answer them in 2-3 sentences each. When you are finished, submit your answers to the questions in the comments section below, or in the comments section on Microsoft Teams. Be sure to include your name with your questions so that I know that it is you.
Reflection Questions: Week 1
1. Question of the Week: As we are all staying at home during this time, it has changed the way we are able to interact with the world. What is one thing that you miss about your old routine, and what is one thing that you like about your new routine?
2. Now that you have completed the warm up, what are your immediate thoughts? Are they mostly positive or negative?
3. What is one aspect of the exercise that you think was valuable to your overall learning? Why?
4. What is one aspect of the exercise that you found difficult, challenging or embarrassing? Why?
5. Space is an important part of the Theatre experience. How did it feel doing an activity like this from your home rather than in our Drama Room?
6. Do you think your experience would be different if you had done this activity in the Drama Room? Why or why not?
7. Connection is also an important part of the Theatre experience. How did it feel doing an activity like this by yourself?
8. Do you think your experience would be different if you had done this activity with your classmates in the same room? Why or why not?
9. What Theatre skill(s) do you think you practice/rehearse using an exercise like this?
I hope that everyone enjoys easing back into the Theatre experience. I look forward to hearing from you all. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments, or email me at email@example.com.